What is it?
In order to protect minors under 17 years of age from crime, and reduce juvenile delinquency, minors cannot walk or drive in any public place in Miami-Dade County (MDC) during curfew.
When is it?
Sunday evening to Friday morning: 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Friday night to Sunday morning: 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Exceptions when the minor:
- Is accompanied by his parents, legal guardian or a person over 21 years of age with his custody or control.
- Goes home from work after work hours.
- Has written permission from a parent or legal guardian to perform an errand.
- Help or assist in an emergency.
- Go to or return home from an official school, religious or recreational event sponsored by MDC, MDC School Board, municipality or civic organization.
- Is on the sidewalk or strip next to his/her home or the neighbor’s.
- Attending or returning from a public event that started after 10:00 p.m. and has written permission from their parents or legal guardian.
- Is legally married or emancipated.
- If a minor disobeys the ordinance he/she will be stopped by the police, taken to a station or other detention center, have their date processed, and reported to their parents or legal guardian.
- If a minor violates the ordinance 3 times or more, the parent or legal guardian could be fined up to $ 500.
Source: Rey Valdes, Public Information Officer.